The town of
Methodism in the
Background to Present Re-development
There has been a Methodist church operating on this site since 1805. The present schoolroom block was built and opened in 1886. The present church worship building was built in 1928, together with a single storey building to the rear, when the 1805 building had been adjudged to be beyond economic maintenance. In 1971 a first floor was incorporated into the “school” building and in 1987 the ground floor was modified to include a new kitchen.
Since that time the suite of church buildings has remained unchanged apart from the addition of two stained glass windows within the church worship area. The 1928 railings were given towards the war effort having since been replaced and re‑aligned when the Stourbridge ring road was constructed.
There was also a two storey caretaker's cottage which was built in 1928 and which has recently been demolished for future developments.
When the Stourbridge ring road was constructed in the 1960s' it had a significant impact upon the entry and exit from the church buildings and the rear car park affecting both pedestrians and cars. This has since been magnified by the recent legislation regarding Health & Safety and provision of facilities for the disabled to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act.
It has now become necessary to update the present facilities to meet the 21st century requirements for the current users and with the intention of increasing our existing outreach into the local community particularly with regard to the young people, the elderly and events.
As with most church communities the number of people coming to church has steadily reduced over the years with the present church worship area becoming larger than our present needs for Sunday Worship alone. The schooIroom block which is about 120 years old together with some of the ancillary buildings are too expensive to maintain and heat. In fact the heating and lighting systems are old and out of date for community use. With these facts in mind, together with our intention to remain a viable organisation with much to offer in the local community and with environmental impact very much in our minds as well as those of the public at large it has become necessary to address these problems.
Accordingly in 2001 a development committee was formed to study our long term community and building needs. The present refurbishments ar a result of this.
History of New Road Methodist Church Click Here